Thread: Nova windscreen

Hybrid View

Nova windscreen

Just ordered a windscreen from Pilkintons as after watching an article about Pilkintons Glass on the news with massive price hike 30% + on the horizon for glass due to soring energy costs .They only will do the Nova screen in clear or blue tint now with no shade band available anymore, I will have to find some where safe to store it along with the original one

Are they still doing the black obscuration band around the edges to hide the sealant bonding area?

Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    Are they still doing the black obscuration band around the edges to hide the sealant bonding area?
    It seems not David, I was after a green tint with the black surround, the reply was they were only available in blue or clear without the black border
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mikemrb View Post
    It seems not David, I was after a green tint with the black surround, the reply was they were only available in blue or clear without the black border
    Mike
    That seems very odd.

The templates were all moved across to the Finland plant from Essex and I had a black bordered screen delivered Jan 2020 from them.

can’t see why the option would be gone now?

I read on here that the border is not a problem as it can be added by buyer or to an old one, I am intending to add one when I re-bond mine.

I believe one uses a thinned down bonding agent or primer.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK
    Genuine and an original, "Grumpy old mechanic".

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    I read on here that the border is not a problem as it can be added by buyer or to an old one, I am intending to add one when I re-bond mine.

Yes - I did mine this way following Dirks advice:- http://www.euro-nova.co.uk/vb/showth...-begins/page40
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post

Sort of yes you can put an internal border on that way and looks fine but I think the proper border is on the outside. Doing it internally you still see any delamination.

Dirk

Would the price come down with quantity order . If so wonder how much and how many screens have to be orders . Would be interesting to know maybe for 3 , 5 and 10 screens .

Sent from my CPH1819 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Staals View Post
    Would the price come down with quantity order . If so wonder how much and how many screens have to be orders . Would be interesting to know maybe for 3 , 5 and 10 screens .

Sent from my CPH1819 using Tapatalk
    I would think it's unlikely these days. It was offered a while back, but that was when they were made in the UK Queenborough plant. I did a long article for Complete Kit Car on the manufacture process, and the plant was impressive, but ovens were old, and very manual in terms of operation as the glass passed through (imagine adjusting 12-16 3 bar electric fires on a series of knobs and dials!). Consequently setting up an oven for a Nova screen was time consuming and less efficient for them to popping out 10 e-type screens in a few minutes - hence they were happy to run off a few together for a group price. When I wrote my piece and collected my screen I spotted another Nova screen on a stand in the QC area. They confirmed it was a reject from my first run - so with one failed to one correct you start to understand the cost.

I think I recall Lauren being offered a slightly marked/faulty screen at a discount for similar reasons?

I haven't been to the Finland plant unfortunately but it is where they were already making lorry screens and larger vehicle glass, and my understanding is the ovens and process is much more refined. So not certain they would feel motivated to offer discount.