Thread: Carpet Edge Treatment?

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar

Carpet Edge Treatment?

Hi all,

I'm starting to think about the carpet for my Nova. I have my old carpets which I intend to use as templates, and am considering buying the 'stretchy' black carpet you can buy on ebay for the back of VW campers, etc.

My question is how best to treat the edges? I don't have an industrial sewing machine so probably won't be able to sew on a leather or vinyl edge strip.

It'll be important to get a good finish along the top of the back wall and particularly the sides where it will be subjected to wear as folk get in and out of the car.

So, does anyone have any good recommendations for something they've used themselves?

Thanks in advance

Alistair

Hi Alistair,

Have a look at the Martrim website, i use them for the majority of my builds, best when you can use the correct material.
    And the pricing is typically good.
    https://www.martrim.co.uk/

With regards to edging, if you want a decent finish see if you have a local trimmers or alterations company. Most are happy to run on some edging to pre cut pieces but it is actually very satisfying to get a simple machine and do it your self.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Had the same problem with my daughters Baja, ended up paying not a lot to have a set custom made.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK
    Genuine and an original, "Grumpy old mechanic".

http://ukhozi.page.tl

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    I agree with saint, Martrim is where I got all the materials for trimming the piper, did everything on a bog standard modern plastic singer machine! Looked up the recommended needle and thread size in the user manual (type 2020 size 16/100) and had a go. Edged all carpets by stitching vinyl on (front face of vinyl to front face of carpet 8mm in from edge) folded the vinyl round the corner and glued it on the back. It will be just like when you started playing with the welder.... you pick it up very quickly and it’s so satisfying to have done it yourself!

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    D1C487A9-7514-4E3B-9359-79469A1DE4BD.jpgOnly picture I could find of my carpet trimming

Used mart rim for both the nova and the lomax. Highly recommended 👍

Quote Originally Posted by Saint View Post
    Hi Alistair,

Have a look at the Martrim website, i use them for the majority of my builds, best when you can use the correct material.
    And the pricing is typically good.
    https://www.martrim.co.uk/

With regards to edging, if you want a decent finish see if you have a local trimmers or alterations company. Most are happy to run on some edging to pre cut pieces but it is actually very satisfying to get a simple machine and do it your self.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Had the same problem with my daughters Baja, ended up paying not a lot to have a set custom made.
    Quote Originally Posted by Piperphasetwo View Post
    I agree with saint, Martrim is where I got all the materials for trimming the piper, did everything on a bog standard modern plastic singer machine! Looked up the recommended needle and thread size in the user manual (type 2020 size 16/100) and had a go. Edged all carpets by stitching vinyl on (front face of vinyl to front face of carpet 8mm in from edge) folded the vinyl round the corner and glued it on the back. It will be just like when you started playing with the welder.... you pick it up very quickly and it’s so satisfying to have done it yourself!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
    Used mart rim for both the nova and the lomax. Highly recommended ��
    Thanks guys! Really helpful. The Martrim website looks really promising!

.... and I've just asked Mrs Bluenova if she still needs her sewing machine, which has sat at the back of the garage for the past 10 years. She says I'm welcome to have a go with it ... so watch this space!

Thanks again guys!

Many thanks Martin ... they look really helpful